06 October 2007

One week plus a little

So, I feel as though I have begun to settle in a bit. My room is organized, classes have started, and I know how to get to (and into) the University Library. It is a good feeling.

This afternoon I have my trial for rowing and this evening I am going to a ballet class. I am more excited about the ballet than the rowing... and am more convinced that I will stick with the ballet, as well. (This could just be the little HORSE in my head telling me that I will never be able to get up early enough to commit!)

I had my first class on Thursday: Theory and Concepts in early modern history. We basically debated the term "early modern" for two hours (ok, maybe not only that... but it seems funnier if I say it that way...) I had forgotten the tiny intricacies of academia and the way in which ANYTHING can be debated into the ground. But that is part of the fun of it, I suppose. After class I went to a tea to meet the history staff/fellows (I am still a bit hazy on what to call who... Professor is a title reserved for few and fellows seem to go with colleges.... they should really have a class titled: fundamentals of naming in Cambridge...) Well, I met my supervisor at this event for the first time; I think we are going to get on well. He is in his early 30s (?) and is originally from Lyon, France. We chatted about my topic and I explained to him what I was thinking and what sources I was expecting to use... and he gave me some pointers, etc. We will see how this goes. My topic is relatively interdisciplinary, so I may be seeking advice from other faculties as well. (At least I will be getting the most out of this brilliant academic resource!)

A curious thing that happened at the tea. Upon meeting one of the teaching staff he said: "Aw, yes... I remember your application well." I still don't know what that means. I am assuming it is because I have such a non-traditional proposal. But I can't quite figure it out!

Anything else to mention? The weather was sunny again for the better part of yesterday... that is always something to write about! I think that is about it for now. I hope all is well back in the states!

3 comments:

Storybell said...

make sure you share the naming conventions!

Paula the Mum said...

That person remembered your application well because you wrote in Americanese not Englandese-center not centre!

Kevin said...

A memorable application means brilliant, direct, and clear writing.

You're sweet.