10 October 2007

Like a crossword...

First, let me comment on a comment: Casey-- you are correct... it would have been amazing if Preston Burke was at the lecture. I am now trying to imagine a lecture on the history of early modern consumption as a TV drama series. "Grey, I need this manuscript translated, Stat!" Funny?

Anyway... today was a full, but very good day. I had three classes today, nearly back-to-back. First was "Non-written sources," perhaps my favourite methodological topic in all of history! Today we read a diary/account entry by a 16th century Northern European artist and discussed how we could use his description of what he bought, sold, or was given as a window to a wider culture of commerce, materials and exchange. Next I had palaeography. We basically dove into translating and transcribing 16th and 17th century English documents. It is amazing to look at one of these documents and wonder: is that even our same alphabet or language? It is a matter of learning the letter shape (there is actually an additional letter that looks just like Y but makes a "th" sound!) and the abbreviations... and well as using context to figure it out. Today mt Prof said: "there is a sort of crossword element to some of this"... that got me really excited!! I can think of a few of you who would LOVE palaeography (all of my suduko and/or crossword loving friends and family). My final class was Intermediate French for Academic Purposes. Basically it is training in advanced French reading. Our homework this week is to translate a portion of "L'etranger" by Camus. We are going to work on 17th through 20th century French. I don't think it will help me get around Paris any better... but I will be able to do a lot more reading in French! C'est très bien!

Tonight I made dinner and ate with Giulia, my housemate, whom I have learnt is also a vegetarian! (she's also a history mphil student... so we can chat history and vegetables!)

For all of you who are inquiring, rowing has not started yet... and I will only have one 7am practice a week (not even that early!) I will let you all know how I get on once we start up!

That is all for now. I hope you all are well!!

5 comments:

Bad Luck Mermaid said...

sounds like great classes so far, bids! hooray for crosswords...see, it was no coincidence that you got hooked on 'em!
dignan just got really excited about this - i think he farted on my lap. sorry for the interruption.
i loved Camus' the stranger...it will probably be even more eloquent in its native french. bon chance, mon chere! (yah, makin that up)

Weasel said...

Burke: "Grey! We need that document translated now!"

Meredith: "I can't! The sources, they're unreliable!"

Nurse: "BP is dropping."

Burke: "Grey, this man needs you to concentrate or he will die. Now, what can you infer?"

Meredith: "Um."


Wow, we should really draw up a story line for this new series, Pea. Sounds gripping!

rebecca blake said...

your classes sound faaaascinating. glad to hear that life is good :)
love,
becks

Laura said...

you bees mees hero of history

Paula the Mum said...

I hope your Burke does not disappear from view as Dr.Burke has done from Gray's Anatomy. One scapel too many.