12 November 2008

An occasioned meeting

Yesterday I learned an important thing about eating from your own garden: unexpected friends sometimes show up on your dinner plate.

I had made for myself a meal in which the main component was a salad. I picked the greens from the garden, washed them, and in the process of drying them and tearing them up I happened upon a miniature tobacco horned worm. Her color mimicked the lettuce quite well, so I nearly missed her! I plucked her off the leaf and put her in the compost (I would have placed her back in the garden but they are rather destructive creatures!) After I removed her from my dinner, I had a think about how I would never find a living (non-microscopic) organism in something I purchased from a grocery... and if I did how repulsed I would find myself. Yet, when food is coming from the garden (or farmers market for that matter), it is normal. It is interesting how the foods that we buy in the grocery are somehow--in our conceptual understandings--transcendent from any ideas of ecosystem or natural processes... how we have become so disconnected from the mystery underlying the way our food grows. It's just a little interesting, that's all. :)



2 comments:

Summer in December said...

I remember once making a salad for Dad & I when we were dating and I found the same insect on my lettuce! Yes, i was bugged by it!

Storybell said...

Just think of it as protein!!!! ha ha. how's about a few pics of the garden? were you impacted by the fire? It was sooooo close to school (WM). Will we see you for t-day? miss you! ur aunt.