22 January 2008

Adventures!

Friends!
I am sitting at my desk, drinking coffee, and working on a translation. I was awakened by the sun this morning (the first time in a long time), but it seems that the clouds have taken over. I have been told that the white gloom and haze will last until about March, so a sunny morning is something to post about!

So, break is over and I am back into the swing of things (except 'the swing of things' is a rather amorphous concept this term, so I don't really even know that it means to be back into it...) Nevertheless, I am back in 'work' mode. Christmas vacation was a wonderful time both back at home (I think this is emphasised in my last post) and back here in England. A few days after I arrived in Cambridge, Kevin came out to meet me and stay for two weeks. We spent a week of our time in Cambridge and a week in Lyon, France. During our time in Cam we visited all the major sites and saw the inside of many pubs and cafés (wherein we passed the time playing Gin Rummy, doing sudoku and reading). I think Kevin's favourite part of Cambridge was The Hot Sausage Company... a cart in town that sells fried sausages on buns (somehow I think that will be Dad's favourite bit when he visits too...) Perhaps one highlight of our time in Cambridge was our ice skating night. This year they set up an outdoor ice skating rink in Parker's Piece (a park in town). We strapped on some skates and had a go... I only fell five times in an hour. It would have been closer to 50 had Kevin not caught me on all the others. It was brilliant... an old lady even laughed at me. But I did better by the end (right, Kevin?) I will post some ice skating photos with the rest.

Our time in Lyon was also lovely. The main point of the trip was research (the majority of my primary documents are in the city archives and library), but we also got plenty of time to play and see the city. I think that the Old City a favourite of us both. The city was founded in 43bc by the Romans, so it has plenty of antique ruins and relics from the past 2000 years (of course this is all juxtaposed with a modern, bustling city).

Looking forward, the next few weeks hold even more adventures. I am back in Lyon in abut two weeks (this time as a lone traveller), and in three weeks Mom is coming to visit from 10 days! We are going to see Cambridge, London and head down to Spain! I think our Spanish destination will be Seville... but that is still up in the air. This is mom's first trip to Europe, so we are both really excited! I am sure there will be plenty of great photos from that adventure too. (And friends who lived in Spain... or have even visited... please send your tips and suggestions about places to see and travel... and remember that Mom is fluent, so we won't have to worry about my faulty Spanish skills!)

As a last note: I heard word a few days back that my proposal has been approved and that I passed me assessments last term! So far, I am on track to have a degree by summer! Woot!

I hope everyone is well and I will try to post again soon!



No comments: