18 December 2007

Long Overdue

Although it may seem by my lack of blogging that I have disappeared, I am back... and here is a bit of an update (I am going to adopt the subheadings to keep you engaged throughout)

Arduous title:
Perhaps the most significant aspect of these past several weeks has been the submission of my final dissertation proposal. It was a bit of agony to produce (especailly on the back of a week of assessments). I think the most memorable part of the whole process for me was dialoging with my supervisor for half an hour in order to get a title. He literally gave me a marker and sent me up to the white board to write out ideas, erase, move words around, and finally produce a title: The history, architecture and political significance of the seventeenth-century town hall of the City of Lyons. Phew! Doesn't think like it would take that much effort does it? Well, it is a most deceptive process (especailly when no one really gives you instruction as to what a title should contain!!) So, now my proposal is submitted--with title--and I am ready to get going on my research.

Get keen:
We had our big boat race a few weeks back (the last Thurs in November). It was quite a rush. We took 15 out of 62 women's boats... not in the top 10, but not too bad (I would also like to point out that we made better time than a number of male boats...) This race--Fairburns--was the final event in my novice boating career. Now I am free to drop out of the sport or to continue as a senior rower. I have decided to give another term of rowing a go. It is a larger committment (more and earlier mornings, HORSE!)... but with no classes or lectures next term, I think the structure will be good for me. The things I am not looking forward to about boating: (1) the aforementioned early mornings and (2) frozen hands... it gets cold in the winter. But I suppose I will at least try for a few weeks and decide if I want to stay on.

Dublin, Oxford, and California:
I am currently back in California for holiday; I arrived Sunday night after a not-so-smooth flight. Before coming home, however, I had a bit of down time to travel (my supervisor left early for France, so I ha to submit my proposal a week before the deadline... leaving me an open week to explore). During this time I went up to Dublin for two nights (it was one of those cheap flights, no baggage, sleep in hostels kind of adventures), and then I got a coach to Oxford for a night, an then out to London to see Cambria and go to a concert for my birthday. It was a fun, but a whirlwind week. Dublin was lovely; I think my favourite bit was when we took a train out to Howth and hiked along cliffs overlooking the sea. Oxford was just as charming as ever and London was great (we saw the Verve play at the O2 arena).

That is about all I am going to post about for now. I hope everyone is well and I look forward to seeing many of you during this week at home!!

1 comment:

Storybell said...

It is so good to see you and know you're happy and doing so well! Make sure you put up some pics of your visit and of all the folks you managed to see. Merry Xmas! Aunt Connie